• Email us at [email protected] to Contribute to the Newspaper!

• We'd love to write about you or something you're involved with!

• Want to be in the newspaper? Stop by Room 6005.

Lake Reflections

The Velcro Pygmies

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Velcro Pygmies

Jacob Madden, Newspaper staff

The Velcro Pygmies are a musical group from Auburn, Alabama. They played their first show at the Supper Club in the fall of 1991 for a crowd of about eight people. The one quality of the band that seemed to stand out was their energy.

The group consists of 4 members, Cameron Flener, Chris Eddins, Chase West and newcomer Max “Maximus Hawk” War. Although these are the current members this isn’t always who it was. On March 2, 2016 Jacob Sanders, former backup singer, was recovered from the Tennessee river. Although this tragedy was a major setback for the group they had to regroup and get back in the groove.

As everyone wonders how they got this mysterious name, it is a very unique story behind it.
“Our drummer at the time said, ‘We all have to wear Velcro shoes. At the time I thought,
‘That’s a great name for the band,’ but was immediately shot down. Later that night someone suggested The Pygmies as a band name. I liked it, but only if we could add the word ‘Velcro’ to it. At that point, we became The Velcro Pygmies,” Cameron Flener said.

With a total of 30 songs and 2 total albums on iPhones’ best (Apple Music), they have many songs sponsored by apple. Even though they haven’t released anything in a while, they still bring the unforgettable rock sensation to the table. The Velcro Pygmies tour all the way from the east coast to the west coast and consistently have a good attendance record.

On March 20, the band is coming to Clear Lake High School to perform a show in the Kruger Field house from 1:00pm to 2:30pm. Many people have never heard of them, but would like to see what they sound like.

“I have heard a few of their greatest hits but hearing them live is probably 10 times better then in my headphones or in my car. I cannot wait to hear them play,” Simon Binetti said.

About the Writer
Jacob Madden, Staff

Jacob is a junior at Clear Lake High School who plays baseball and football. He is going to go to Texas Tech in 2 years to excel his career in baseball...