Tropical Storm Imelda Hits Houston

Fatima Khan, Reporter

Tropical Storm Imelda moved into Texas on Sept. 18 and brought flash flooding to some areas in Houston, TX.

Areas like downtown Houston, experienced flooding throughout Friday 20, while others received only minor flooding.

“My house wasn’t damaged, but I did have to miss a day of school because the roads were flooded and I was unable to drive,” Mr. Orr said.

Starting Tuesday night, CCISD began working with weather specialists to monitor Tropical Storm Imelda and early morning the next day, sent out an email to all parents saying that school would be cancelled due to the weather.

A lot of students had to cancel plans during the storm, while others were given plans for the week.

“It gave me more time to sleep in and actually do my work that I had pushed back. Some of my tests got pushed back and it gave me more time to go to more tutorials after-school and get a better grade on the test,” Vincent Duong, a Junior, said.

Most Houstonians don’t take tropical storms as seriously as they can be because of how often they hit Houston.

“Whenever there are tropical storms, I’m like, this is just a baby,” Vincent Duong, Houstonian said.

Tropical Depression Imelda has been the most severe storm since Hurricane Harvey. It left some areas of Houston with up to 43 inches of rain over the span of 3 days. Data reports have shown that 340 houses were damaged in the storm.

“I hope weather like this last weeks doesn’t happen at all, but after Harvey, which wasn’t supposed to be bad, I’m super vigilant,” Mr. Orr said.

Houston will continue to be vigilant since we still have many storms that could form this year.