Covid-19 Vaccines for Kids

Francisco Munoz, Reporter

Three covid-19 vaccines have been approved, but none of them for people under 16.

Vaccines rolled out to frontline workers and people with covid high-risk medical conditions first, and will be coming to the general public soon.

Now Anthony Fauci, White House Chief Medical Adviser, predicted that high school students would begin to get vaccinated around Spring and Summer, and elementary school kids won’t receive them until early 2022.

“Almost certainly will not be firmed down until the first quarter of 2022,” Fauci said.

Fauci warned that this was the earliest possible timeline, considering he was only predicting when the trials would be complete.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also needs to make its final decision and approve the data.

“Again, the final decisions we always leave to the FDA,” Fauci said. “I’m trying to give you a roadmap of what likely will happen.”

The FDA has so far approved Pfizer’s vaccine for people 16 or older and Moderna and Johnson & Johnson for those 18 or older.

Fauci said Pfizer will start studying the vaccine on 5- to 12-year-olds begging in April.

He said that the study will take a year, but expects the data on 12- to 15-year-olds sometime around fall.

“Maybe not exactly coinciding with first day of school, but sometime in the fall, we will have that,” Fauci said.

Pfizer confirmed to ABC News that the company has fully enrolled its study on 12- to 15-year-olds, and Moderna expects to have data around mid-year 2021.

Sources:

ABC News

CNBC