Foundation of Animal Cruelty

Alex Fabian Garcia, Reporter

From fragrances and painkillers to makeup and dyes on clothes, several new chemicals have been forcibly fed to animals. The Hang Seng Index (HSI) works with companies and government agencies around the world to share evidence of violence and outdated animal poisoning, a fashionable alternative to better protect people and the environment.

Various invasive tests have been performed on rabbits, mice, guinea pigs and rats. Skin and eye irritation tests are common, which are where chemicals are rubbed on shaved skin or chemicals are dripped into the eyes of restrained rabbits without any pain relief.

BUAV reports that there are non-animal alternative tests such as artificial skin, human skin preparations and certain bean gels can be used to simulate the surface of the eye. There are also robot tests that can be used to test toxic substances without using animals.

In animal experiments using cosmetics, 100,000-200,000 animals are tortured and killed every year.

On Nov. 5, 2013, the Chinese Food and Drug Administration issued a statement proposing to ban animal testing of “non-professional” cosmetics, which came into effect in June 2014.

One of the world’s biggest supporter of animal rights, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), has launched a joint initiative with 34 countries in economic cooperation for development of organizations to promote the movement to save animal lives. PETA has well-established programs in India and the United Kingdom. The European Union recently passed a law to regulate animal testing in all 27 member states.

While so many countries have taken measures to use alternatives to animal testing, there are also problems with animal testing in non-commercial areas. In the past, science used animal testing to understand existing conditions and phenomena, and to test hypotheses, drugs, and treatment plans. Science puts animals in extremely controversial conditions that cannot be tested on humans.

As far as cosmetic testing, the possible reactions on animals to humans may not be the same at all.

Mikayla Anthony, freshman, thinks that testing on animals is cruel and unfair.

“I honestly feel that makeup brands that use animals for testing their own products is cruel and unfair to the animals,” Anthony said. “If you don’t know if it’s safe for humans, what makes you think it’s fair to the animal that you’re testing the product on. How would you feel if that was you?”

Ariadna Aldana, freshman, thinks that is disappointing how makeup brands use animals for testing their products.

“I feel enraged and disappointed about animal testing on beauty products. In the 21st century, where you can just send a sample to a lab, make it go through a process of machinery and chemical testing, and you’re still testing on animals?” Aldana said. “Doesn’t seem right. It also doesn’t seem fair to make animals go through all that testing, and possibly give them permanent health issues.”

In order to help customers understand whether the product they were buying was tested on animals or not, in 1996, animal welfare associations from all over the world united and launched an international program to ensure that customers determine whether products and their ingredients have been tested on animals.

There are established standards in the United Kingdom, the United States, and most European countries. In the UK, they are called Humane Cosmetic Standards (HCS) and Humane Household Product Standards (HHPS).

HCS can be used for your cosmetics and toiletries. Companies should not conduct such tests on their own, nor should they allow others to conduct such tests on their behalf. It should also undergo an independent review to ensure that it meets these standards.

If the manufacturer has been approved by HCS or HHPS, the “Leaping Bunny” logo can be used. Some companies use different bunny logos on their packaging, but the Leaping Bunny logo is the only guarantee that the company has been approved by these standards. This tells people that the products they buy have not been tested on animals.

The HHPS has the same rules as the HCS, but it applies to household products items such as washing-up liquid, cleaning fluids and powders.

Some of the tests are wasteful, have useless techniques that cause only few advantageous effects, a variety of useless captivity, and lack of life.

Some makeup brands that test on animals are NARS, L’Oréal, Estée Lauder, MAC, Benefit, Lancôme, Make Up For Ever, Maybelline, Rimmel London, Revlon, Clinique, Almay, Max Factor, Bobbi Brown, Chanel, Bourjois, Giorgio Armani, Tom Ford, Yves Saint Laurent, Sephora Collection, Shiseido, Burberry, Dior, La Mer, Guerlain, Avon, Mary Kay, Dolce & Gabbana, Shu Uemura. For more information on preventing animal cruelty, visit https://www.hsi.org/how-you-can-help/.

Sources:

HSI

Proquest 1

Proquest 2

Proquest 3

crueltyfreekitty.com