Spring Exemption Information

Semester exams begin May 18 for seniors and May 24 for juniors, sophomores and freshmen.

Students may be exempt from spring semester examinations in the following categories:

(1) Junior and Senior Exemptions and

(2) AP Exemptions

Any student exempted from the spring semester exam in either of the two categories may elect to take the spring semester exam to improve his/her grade. With this choice, a student’s semester average may only be increased by the examination grade and may not be reduced by the examination grade. Nonexempt students must attend every class for which an exemption is not earned.

Guidelines for Junior and Senior Semester Exam Exemptions

Junior and senior students are eligible for exemption from spring semester exams in any course based on the criteria below.

1. Requirements Per Class:
  • Spring semester course average of seventy-five (75) or above, and
  • No conduct grade lower than satisfactory
  • There may be no outstanding credit appeal hours
  1. To be eligible for exemption, a student may not have a discipline referral in the spring semester from the class of exemption. A discipline referral is any offense other than a tardy to class. The student must also be clear of all fines and detention halls. Students must not have served time in ISS or been suspended at homeduring the spring semester.
  2. As a result of clear and compelling evidence of a violation of the Secondary Honor Code, a student is not eligible for any semester exam exemptions.
  3. Credit Recovery courses are not eligible for semester exam exemptions.

Guidelines for AP Semester Exam Exemptions

A student in grades 9 – 12, enrolled in an AP course will be exempt from taking the regularly scheduled spring semester exam for that AP course upon having met the following conditions:

1. Student must take the designated College Board Advanced Placement Exam for that course.
  2. Spring semester course average of seventy (70) or above.
  3. Student may not have a discipline referral in the spring semester from the class of exemption. A discipline referral is any offense other than a tardy to class. The student must also be clear of all fines and detention halls. Students must not have served time in ISS or been suspended at home during the spring semester.
  4. As a result of clear and compelling evidence of a violation of the Secondary Honor Code, a student is not eligible for any semester exam exemptions.

Appeals regarding the loss of exemption eligibility must be submitted in writing to the campus principal for consideration for a waiver to these criteria. Decisions regarding waivers and exam exemptions may not be appealed beyond the campus principal.