Tornadoes Tear Through Texas

Photo by Nikolas Noonan on Unsplash

Tornado tearing through a field during stormy weather

Madisen Tucker, Editor-in-Chief

On Monday, March 21, a weather system spawned that generated a confirmed total of 25 tornadoes to Texas.

In North Texas alone several people were injured. Homes and businesses were also caught in different tornado paths. 

In Jack and Montague counties the damages were considered extensive.

Two schools in Jacksboro, which is in Jacks County, saw heavy damages done to their buildings. Jacksboro high school came back to their gymnasium wall and half of the roof ripped off.

Jacksboro High School principal, Starla Sanders, was informed that the storm system was severe around 3 p.m. Following that notice she sent home 300 students that could drive themselves, however bus riders and the staff were forced to take shelter.

Shortly after the storm passed, Sanders was informed that the roof of her home had been ripped off.

“It just brought tears to my eyes,” Sanders said. “I have lived here for 15 years, and I love this place.” 

Although she lost belongings and the roof of her home, Sanders is grateful that none of the people in the school got hurt.

“My kids are safe, my husband is safe and all the students are safe,” Sanders said. “That is what is important.”

Jacksboro Elementary met the same fate as the high school, although no students or staff were injured.

Jacksboro Middle School did not receive any severe damage and students were reunited with parents there. County officials say that around 90 homes were damaged or destroyed along with an animal shelter. 

The storm system pushed East on Tuesday into Louisiana and Mississippi later that day.

New Orleans and the Lower Ninth Ward were hit by tornadoes shortly after 8 p.m.

25-year-old Connor Lambert was killed by a tornado on Tuesday night in the St. Bernard neighborhood.

“Anybody that met him, loved him,” Connor’s grandfather Bob Lambert said. “He was that kind of guy and there are no words to express what we are feeling.”

Crews in New Orleans and surrounding areas spent the night assessing the damages. As of Friday, March 25 the only confirmed death was Connor Lambert.

The tornado had left widespread damage spanning out two miles. Houses had been ripped from their foundations and relocated in the winds. 

“We are a resilient people and we’ve been through this, it seems like, a gazillion times,” Parish President Guy McInnis said. “We are good at it though.”

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency in St. Bernard, New Orleans and St. Tammany parishes after assessing the damages.

“Unfortunately, our people have become all too familiar with rebuilding after tragedy and loss, but it is never easy,” Edwards said.

The assessment and recovery processes are beginning across the states that were affected. Updates on severe injuries or death will be updated when they are received.

Sources:

https://www.fox4news.com/weather/severe-storms-with-hail-and-tornadoes-possible-on-monday-in-dallas-fort-worth 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/23/weather/severe-weather-tornadoes-wednesday/index.html 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/22/weather/texas-severe-weather-tornadoes-tuesday/index.html