Top 10 Holiday Events in Texas

Kylie McKinney, Reporter

The Lone Star State of Texas is an exceptional place to spend your winter months in for plenty of reasons. Our lovely temperatures during the holiday season will have you genuinely enjoying yourself, rather than marinated in cold melting snow. Typically throughout the months November-February, our weather is exceptional. Chilly temperatures with sunny blue skies create the perfect environment to partake in all types of winter activities including hiking, festivals, or having lunch at your favorite local restaurants.  Snow and overnight freezing are extreme rarities in Texas, giving you the perfect opportunity to comfortably enjoy your winter season with no burdens. It truly is a memorable place to spend the holidays with family, or even yourself alone. There are plenty of fun cities and activities that will keep you busy!

1. San Antonio River Walk

San Antonio’s River Walk is open every day of the year, although, during the winter months, it is an extremely beautiful place to spend a few, or even just one day. Although many of the restaurants and bars will be closed on actual Christmas day, the months and days leading up to Christmas, restaurants, bars, and activities will be open to all who plan on partaking in an eventful day. With the beautiful weather along with twinkling lights, the San Antonio River Walk is a great place to spend your winter days.

1. McAllen Holiday Parade

The McAllen Holiday Parade is most definitely one of a kind. With over 60 illuminated floats, 34   larger-than-life character balloons, 13 school bands, and 16 top celebrities, the McAllen Holiday Parade is guaranteed to bring you your Christmas spirit. The 1.5-mile parade has been going on for a little over 8 years, bringing more and more joy to each attendee. The energy and excitement are a legendary sight to see especially with the upcoming adrenaline of Christmas.

1. Walk the Trail of Lights in Austin

The Trail of Lights in Austin is the most beloved, and longest running holiday tradition of its kind in Texas’ capital city. The Trail of Lights welcomes thousands of guests each year to view more than 2 million lights which illuminate the park along with over 90 decorated trees, and more than 70 other holiday displays and lighted tunnels. Walking the Trail of Lights in the city of Austin will be sure to give you a peak Christmas experience.

1. Whistle Stop Christmas

Whistle Stop Christmas, located in Cleburne, has plenty of Christmas activities to partake in such      as viewing gorgeous lights, watching plays, shopping, taking photos, train rides, and even     entering contests. Whistle Stop Christmas will leave you with an overwhelming sense of Christmas spirit. Most activities are free, but some activities require around 3-5 dollars, which is an extremely low price for how beautiful and amazing Cleburne is.

1. Fort Worth Parade of Lights

The Forth Worth Parade of Lights always lights up with holiday spirit. The parade contains more than 100 festive floats covered with holiday decor and over half a million sparkling lights, with the plus of marching bands and carolers. If you can’t attend the parade for any reason, it always has live broadcasting for you to watch at home! This year will mark the 39th year as the cities official kick-off to the holiday season.

1. Santa’s Wonderland

Santa’s Wonderland, located in College Station, is the perfect way to start off your festive holiday    season. The gorgeous winter wonderland contains fun experiences such as hayrides, meeting Santa Claus, as well as writing him letters, and there’s even massive gingerbread village made out of over 2000 pounds of icing! This Santa Winter land is guaranteed to have you excited and eager to make it to Christmas day!

1. Celebrate Christmas in Grapevine

Grapevine has been labeled the “Christmas Capital” in Texas. Grapevine is absolutely gorgeous during the holidays. It is always sparkled with millions of lights, enormous decorations, animated characters, and much more. There are plenty of activities here to keep busy during the winter months including the north pole express, the historic palace theatre which is home to live performances and classic Christmas music, and there is even a farm specifically for celebrating Grapevines Christmas traditions.

1. Kwanzaa Fest

The Kwanzaa Fest in Dallas, Tx, will sure to be an extreme interest regarding teenagers. If you       love hip hop, R&B, holiday crafts, food vendors, and free activities for ally families, then you would absolutely enjoy yourself at the Kwanzaa Fest held every year. Plenty of live performances and sweet treats will be provided!

1. Santa’s Ranch

Santa’s Ranch, located in New Braunfels is a holiday event that you don’t want to miss out on. The ranch started in 2003 and is still going strong. You’re sure to be awestruck by over 1.5 million, custom made lights all put up to help you experience the real magic of Christmas. Whether you’re 15 or 51, the lit-up displays, gingerbread houses, nativity scenes, and depictions of the north pole, will have you fulfilled!

1. Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens

The Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens is a very close and inexpensive fun activity for CLHS students. The Festival contains a mile long trail including hot chocolate, fireside s’mores, holiday films, pictures with Santa, and many holiday dining options. The Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens is extremely fun, I can tell you from experience, and the attendees are very nice.