Diving Makes a Splash at District

Alexa Ward, Editor-in-Chief

On Jan. 27, the Lake Aquatics team competed at the 24-6A District Swim and Dive meet. On Thursday, freshman Jillian Bottego placed fifth and senior Charlize Beniquez reigned district champ in the diving portion. This earned both divers a spot at the regional competition on Feb. 3.

For Beniquez this was another shot at state, which she also advanced to her freshman, sophomore and junior year.

“[When I swim] I feel excited and happy,” Beniquez said.

Beniquez has been swimming since she was 12, while Bottego has been swimming since she was nine years old.

“I feel like [swimming’s] not as stressful as people think it is,” Bottego said. “I think it’s more relaxing and feel like it’s just time for myself.”

It takes a strong system of support to help guide young athletes along the right path.

“My mom is super supportive of me and has made a lot of sacrifices for me to be able to train with the team that I’m on now,” Beniquez said.

Coaches also play a large roll, not just in coaching the exercises but mentoring the students and establishing a personal connection.

“[My coach] has been really supportive of me and I feel like I have a really good relationship with her,” Bottego said. “My coaches have really helped me with achieving the things that I want to and my family has also supported me a lot.”

When competing it is natural for athletes to have to face their nerves, especially at high-stake meets.

“I was actually nervous because there was a lot of seniors and juniors that I was competing up against and they were all really good,” Bottego said.

Beniquez will continue onto the state diving competitions along with the advancing swimmers. They will be travelling to University of Texas Austin to compete on Feb. 18 and 19.

Best of luck to Beniquez and the other swimmers as they fight to bring home a state title for Lake.