Addressing the Dress Code Square

The new Falcon dress code policy

Naomi Gutierrez, Reporter

At the beginning of each academic year, class meetings are held in the PAC to discuss expectations, tardy policy, exemptions, and other important information regarding the school year. This year, the senior class was in for a surprise as the senior class principal, Aaron Troyer, debuted a new way to remember the dress-code policy during the class meeting which took place on Wednesday, August 24.

Mr. Troyer, inspired by the prominence of the dress code topic, decided it was time to refine the way that students remember the dress code policy.

“It started as an inside joke between me and a friend who is an elementary school teacher,” Mr. Troyer said. “She usually does the jingle about the no-no square with her kids, and it is something we quote each time we see each other. When I saw the dress-code square for this year, the no-no square just popped into my head.”

The small jig is to the tune of ‘hey don’t touch me there, this is my no-no square,’ but instead of ‘no-no square’, Mr. Troyer uses ‘dress-code square’ and reminds students to be fully clothed within the square.

“Oh no, you need to put clothes there, You’re violating the dress code square”

The school dress code has been a longstanding hot topic amongst both students and staff. This year, Clear Creek ISD unveiled a new dress-code policy for the students to follow.

“Dress-code, especially this year, has always been because of safety reasons,” Mr. Troyer said. “This [jingle] gives the kids something easier to remember.”

Following the class meeting, a video of Mr. Troyer performing the jingle for the senior class was posted on the CLHS Instagram page (@clearlake_hs).

“Through our social platforms, we are able to reach our students, parents, and stakeholders and [social media] helps us better communicate the message with the rest of students,” Mr. Troyer said.

In the video, students could be heard laughing and clapping for Mr. Troyer as he presented them with the jingle.

“I think that it was pretty well-received,” Mr. Troyer said. “Plus, it’s nice to know that the kids understand that we aren’t trying to be super strict or only play bad cop with them [when it comes to enforcing policies], we want to have some fun with them too.”

Senior Aarthi Kukaruban, who was present at the meeting, agrees.

“I thought the jingle was funny and memorable,” Kukaruban said. “It really showed how the teachers/staff want to make following the rules fun for the students.”

Mr. Troyer hopes that his message reaches the rest of the Clear Lake Falcons and that students will understand the importance of dress-code and dressing for success.