Student Support Counselors

Gabi Cuellar, Reporter

It is easy to get caught up in the never-ending cycle of turmoil that life has to throw, but the school has people here to help when the weight of everything feels like a little too much to carry alone. Two of these people include student support counselors, Mrs. Propp and Mrs. Liggons.

Mrs. Propp has been a counselor at the school for nine years and Mrs. Liggons has been a counselor at the school for five.

Mrs. Propp, a former Clear Lake student, started her road to becoming a counselor after she took psychology in high school.

“I took a psychology course in high school, and once I dove into that class my interest was sparked,” Mrs. Propp said. “I didn’t know exactly what kind, so I went in to get my undergraduate just in psychology, and then I knew I would have to go further if I was going to do private practice. So, I wasn’t sure until my senior year in my first four years of college what I wanted to do.”

Former teacher of eight years, Mrs. Liggons decided to become a counselor after realizing she could help her students in a way outside of formal education.

“When I was a teacher, I just noticed that a lot of kids that weren’t even in my class would always want to come and talk about personal stuff, so I found myself spending a lot of time counseling and trying to juggle teaching, so I figured I might as well try to do this full time,” Mrs. Liggons said.

For Mrs. Liggons, an important aspect of her job is helping students realize how strong they are to overcome the challenges they face and giving support as is needed.

“I think (the most important thing is) connecting students with the idea that they can overcome whatever is happening,” Mrs. Liggons said. “Providing that support in the moment, and then also helping families connect with services outside if that’s what’s needed, or just giving words and a voice to some breakdown between students and their families to understand each other better.”

Mrs. Propp’s hope is that she can make a difference and give the type of support she got growing up to students.

“I feel it’s an honor to be able to be in a position to help others when they’re in a vulnerable place and to do it responsibly,” Mrs. Propp says. “I know that I had wonderful support growing up and I just wanted to continue giving that to others.”

For both Mrs. Propp and Mrs. Liggons, it is true that their main concern is making the days and lives of the students around them better. Thank you Mrs. Propp and Mrs. Liggons, for all that you do!