Clear Lake High School Newspaper

Clear Lake High School Newspaper

Clear Lake High School Newspaper

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your New Year's Resolution?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Driving Is One of the Most Frustrating Tasks and Here’s Why

Driving is a very popular action in which a majority of people take part in each and every day, whether
their distance driven is a 5-minute detour or a 5-hour detour, people are on the road. Although a
majority of people are on the road, from the countless times I have shaken my head while driving, it has
been brought to my attention that some people just should not be.

There are many different types of people who drive including teenagers, grown adults, and the elderly.
It is hard to determine from my perspective which group of people should have most of their license
revoked, because I have seen all of these groups recklessly drive, and not follow both state laws as well
as common laws.

Some popular things I see all the time that just make me question if this is real life, include people
driving too fast or too slowly, not following intersection rules, acting as if they have no idea how to drive
as soon as it starts raining, not letting people over when there is plenty of opportunity, and not staying
in their own lane. Granted there are way more things that go on, these are just some of the most
frustrating ones.

1. Driving too fast or too slowly

I am really not sure why this is an issue in the first place. Road signs are placed
everywhere stating the speed limit in that particular area, so why do people not follow
them? If you are going 15 miles over the speed limit, passing people up, and acting as if
people following the law are going too slow, then you’re ridiculous. I understand going 5
over, maybe even six or seven, but 15 miles over is just a ticket waiting to happen when it
could easily have been avoided. On the other hand, going 15 miles under the speed limit
is ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason for it and all it does is frustrated those
around you.

2. Not following intersection rules

I don’t even know where to start with this one. There needs to be a PSA going over the
rules of an intersection because I swear that 75% of people ignore them. The proper
way to go into an intersection is that you turn into the side where you will be able to see
oncoming traffic, and not block the opposing car. It is not a difficult concept; it is simple
common sense. There should not be 4 or 5 cars in an intersection trying to all go at the
same time. It is absolutely absurd and ridiculous that people even think that is okay.

3. Driving in rain

For some reason, as soon as it starts sprinkling, people act as if there is an oncoming
hurricane about to take everyone out. They immediately slow down 15 miles and slam
on their brakes when there is a tiny puddle. If it is pouring and lightning, you obviously
slow down and become more cautious, but why do people do this when it is hardly
raining? This ties a little back to the whole “too fast or too slow” commotion, which is
once again, ridiculous.

4. Not letting people over

There is absolutely no excuse for this one other than the fact that you are just plain
rude. I understand if the roads are extremely busy and you cannot let me over in that
moment, but people who speed up and purposely block your ability to switch lanes just
because, makes zero sense. What do you get out of that because all it gave me was an
immense about of road rage.

5. Driving in the wrong lane

This goes for both driving on a straight, one-way road, as well as double turn lanes. If we
are both going down a straight road, there is no reason to be slowly going in and out of
my line because you are distracted, on your phone, etc., just pay attention. Each time I
am in a double turn lane, I am genuinely scared for my life because of the amount of
people who will just turn into the opposing lane, like what are you doing? It is so
frustrating.

These were just some of the things that are so bothersome to I’m sure, quite a few people. It is
important common sense to just pay attention, follow rules, and don’t bother other people’s space both
physically and mentally when it comes to driving.

About the Contributor
Kylie McKinney
Kylie McKinney, Reporter
Kylie is a 3rd year reporter for her schools newspaper. She has always loved to write and being a part of the journalism class is one of the highlights of her day. In her free time, she loves to clean/organize different spaces, shop for skincare and makeup that Tik Tok influenced her to purchase, and spend time with her family, friends, and 4 year old bunny, Penelope.