Clear Lake High School Newspaper

Clear Lake High School Newspaper

Clear Lake High School Newspaper

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your New Year's Resolution?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

End of Year Taking a Toll

Senioritis. As most of us know, senioritis is a term used to describe the phenomenon where high school seniors experience a decline, or lack of emotion, in general motivation and academic performance as they approach the end of their high school career. This more times than not brings on heavy waves of procrastination, apathy towards schoolwork, and a general lack of focus, sometimes even outside of the school setting.

There are several factors that contribute to senioritis. For many students, the pressure of college applications and the anticipation of starting a new chapter in their lives can lead to a sense of burnout. For other students, they may be having to work 3 jobs just to get through college, which can bring on immense levels of stress and anxiety. After years of hard work and dedication, it’s common for seniors to feel exhausted and ready to move on to both new experiences as well as new people. In a lot of cases, the people you are in class with for your senior year, are the same people you were in class with for kindergarten. This makes things begin to feel extremely repetitive and boring even, causing students to want new and fresh everything after graduation.

With the end in sight, some students may struggle to stay motivated and engaged in their classes. Many students will begin showing up late, or sometimes not even showing up at all. It is hard for many people to push through things and see the light at the end of the tunnel, rather than a brick wall blocking the end of the tunnel. It’s important to acknowledge that senioritis is a natural part of the high school experience for many students. However, it’s also crucial for seniors to continue putting in effort and staying focused in order to finish strong and set themselves up for success in the future.

To push through senioritis, students can try setting small goals for themselves, whether it be for the month or even just the day. Students can also seek support from teachers and counselors, as well as remind themselves of their long-term aspirations. By staying engaged and committed to their studies, seniors can overcome senioritis and finish high school on a positive note.

Sourced Image: https://www.parentingforbrain.com/how-to-discipline-a-teenager-for-bad-grades/

About the Contributor
Kylie McKinney
Kylie McKinney, Reporter
Kylie is a 3rd year reporter for her schools newspaper. She has always loved to write and being a part of the journalism class is one of the highlights of her day. In her free time, she loves to clean/organize different spaces, shop for skincare and makeup that Tik Tok influenced her to purchase, and spend time with her family, friends, and 4 year old bunny, Penelope.